Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Irish Heritage

My ancestors on my paternal grandmother's side, emigrated to the United States from Belfast, Ireland in the 1600's.  Their name is Harroun.  The most famous one I know of is Ray Harroun who was a race car driver.  He is best known for winning the first running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race on May 30, 1911.  His use of what would now be called a rear-view mirror, rather than the riding mechanic specified in the rules, created controversy, but was ultimately allowed. Harroun constructed a bracket to support a rear view mirror - perhaps, the first. Consequently, the automobile industry started equipping their cars with rear view mirrors. Harroun went on to win at an average speed of 74.602 miles per hour (120.060 km/h). Harroun, who came out of retirement to race in the first 500, would not race after 1911. Ray Harroun's historic Firestone-shod yellow #32 Marmon "Wasp," in which he won the Indianapolis 500, is on display at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum. 

It's fun to know my ancestor helped pioneer the rear view mirror!  I can see the family resemblence to my grandmother especially in his eyes.  I am very proud of the pioneers in my family.  Coming to the United States for a better life took a great leap of faith.  Being different and doing something new took courage. I thank them all for their pioneer spirit.

No comments: