My Dad put up his flag the day Colin was deployed. He said he would not take it down until Colin is home safe with Amy and Harry. True to his word, it has flown on his house for a year, day and night.
Thank you Dad.
*********
I had a long conversation with a friend yesterday. Her son leaves for basic training today. She came up to me and said, "Colin comes home tomorrow and my son leaves tomorrow", and then she cried. She doesn't understand why her son wants to be in the military. She doesn't understand why his drill sargeant will be so mean to him. I told her to be proud of him. He will come home a stronger man, a man with a purpose, a man with pride in himself and his country.
Many guys joined during peace time to get their school paid or for a safe adventure. Deployment seemed to be unlikely. Then terrorists struck and we are at war. Deployment is a reality. Men and women who join today know that. They serve our country willingly and with pride.
Sometime today or tomorrow, Colin will be home with his wife & son. I am grateful he is safe. I am grateful he is back in the United States. He is grateful to be home. He told Amy he forgot about humidity when he was in Afghanistan and now it is miserably humid in Texas. She told him to be prepared because the monsoons are coming. His response--it's a small price to pay to be home.
I complain about stuff all the time, humidity included. How much of what I complain about is a small price to pay to be home, here, in the United States? How much of what we complain about is a small price to pay for our freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to do what we do every day?
I am proud of and grateful for all the men and women who serve in our military.
There is strong and then there is ARMY strong. Welcome home to the 348th Transportation Company.


1 comment:
A very heart warming post. Made me cry! I'm glad Amy and Colin Have you! You're amazing, even if you do complain about humidity :)I too am thankful for ALL those serving and protecting our country.
Post a Comment