I love family history and old family photos.
I was recently asked if I would submit a picture or two for our Stake Relief Society Meeting in February.
I jumped at the chance.
Only problem--which ones??
I settled on these five and will let them decide which one(s) they want to use.
Each picture a small glimpse into their lives.
My Grandmother on her Wedding Day, Nov 28, 1912.
She was 16 yrs old.
My Grandmother 13 yrs later with my Aunt Herminia who was 2 and my Uncle Stanley who was 11.
She had survived the first World War in Otynia, Austria which after the war became Otynia, Poland.
My Grandfather was seeking fortune in Chicago when the war broke out. He could not return home until the war was over and so they were apart for 8 yrs.
Which was most of my uncle's life.
Uncle Stanley died when he was just 12 yrs old of infection from an appendicidis.
In 1927, my grandparents and my aunt traveled to Chicago to live for a time.
Here is my Mom at 1 yr old.
She is the only one of my grandparents 4 children to be born in the United States.
These are 4 of my Dad's older brothers and sisters posing on the family car in Nebraska .
And here is my Dad as a baby in my Grandmother's arms, summer 1928. Seven children in all.
Aren't they a great looking bunch?
Even with all these mouths to feed, my Grandmother never turned away a hungry man who was looking for work when he knocked on the back door at supper time. Good woman.
(And this is where I got my love for overalls!)






No comments:
Post a Comment