I love pictures. I have collected many old and special pictures from my parents, aunts and uncles. Whenever I get a new old picture, I love to hear the story and memories associated with it. I have a wall in my house dedicated to these old family pictures. They date from the early 1900's to the 1960's. Whenever I sit at my computer, I take a few moments to look at these treasures.
This morning is no exception. Except, the pictures I am drawn to are of my Aunt Herminia. Sadly, she passed away late yesterday afternoon. Sad for me, but I am sure she is happy. Happy to be reunited with her dear husband Art. She has missed him so much these last 5 years. Happy to see her parents, her brother, her grandson. Happy to be free of a body and mind that would not let her do the things she loved.
Herminia Wanda Huk Bielinski
Born March 28, 1922 in Otynia, Poland
Died June 3, 2010 in Tempe, AZ
________________
This is a family picture in 1929. My grandparents (Dzia Dzia and Busi), my mom on Busi's lap and Herminia standing on the left. Herminia always dressed beautifully. Her hair was always done perfectly. She has a bracelet on in this picture. She loved jewelry to accessorize. This picture was taken in Chicago, where my Mom was born. Shortly after, the family returned to Poland.
______________
In Poland, the family had a farm. My Aunt remembered this home well and painted a beautiful picture of it. Herminia loved to go out in the fields and sit under a tree and read. The family traveled by horse and wagon during the summer and by horse and sleigh in the winter. My grandma is standing in the back, Aunt Herminia in the wagon on the left, then my Mom and my uncle Al.
My Aunt was 14 when the family traveled back to Chicago where my Grandfather was working. She did not want to go. She did not want to leave her friends, her life. But a world war was inching closer and closer to their home. My Grandmother knew they had to leave. They were blessed to have a place to go. They traveled by ship and entered thru Ellis Island. The family intended on returning to Poland after the war was over. But Russians invaded their home and their town. After the war, their was no home to return to. Otynia was now part of the Ukraine.
So, the family made a life in a Polish neighborhood in Chicago. They learned english and made new friends.
And Herminia met Art. The love of her life.
They married and had a daughter and a son. They made their home in Skokie, IL. She planted berries and flowers. She was a talented artist. She did hair and had many loyal customers. She would go and listen to her husband play clarinet in a band. Her eyes would shine with love and pride as she watched him play. She got her drivers license only when Art could no longer drive. She was 70 years old.
And so much, much more...
______________
My Aunt Herminia (on the left) and my Mom in the 1950's. Aren't they beautiful? They have always been great friends. They were in each others weddings, godmothers to each others children. (I am blessed that she was my godmother). They loved dancing the polka together. They would sing Polish Christmas songs together. I know my Mom will miss her dear sister.
These last few years, my Aunt's body was old and frail. Her mind was lost to us. But inside she was still Herminia. The little girl. The teenager. The young woman. The sister. The wife. The mom. The aunt. The
grandma. The painter. The gardener. The hair dresser. The friend. The kind, loving woman who was quick to smile and always happy to be with her family.
I love you Auntie. Thank you for loving me so good. I will miss you.




1 comment:
That is so sweet Denise! I loved it.
Post a Comment